- Historical Background. Ex-servicemen Contributory Health Scheme (ECHS) was launched with effect from 01 April 2003. The Scheme aims to provide allopathic medicare to Ex-servicemen pensioner and their dependents through a network of ECHS Polyclinics, Service medical facilities and civil empanelled/Govt hospitals spread across the country. The Scheme has been structured on the lines of CGHS to ensure cashless transactions, as far as possible, for the patients and is financed by the Govt of India.
- ECHS is a flagship Scheme of the Ministry of Defence, Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare. The aim of Scheme is to provide quality healthcare of Ex-servicemen pensioners and their dependents. As on 01 May 2015, a total of 15,21,563 Ex-servicemen have enlisted with the Scheme along with 32,02,610 dependents. Total beneficiaries of the Scheme, thus amount to 47,24,173.
- Policy framework for the Scheme is laid down by the Govt and executive control is exercised by the Department of Ex-servicemen Welfare. The Scheme is managed through the existing infrastructure of the Armed Forces so as to minimize the administrative expenditure. The existing infrastructure includes command and control structure, spare capacity of Service Medical facilities (Hospitals and Medical Inspection Rooms), procurement organization for medical and non-medical equipment, Defence land and buildings etc. Station Commanders assisted by Senior Executive Medical Officers (SEMO) exercise direct control over the ECHS Polyclinics.
- The Central Organisation ECHS is located at Delhi and functions under the Chiefs of Staff Committee through the Adjutant General in the Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army). The Central Organisation is headed by a Managing Director, a serving Major General.
- There are 28 Regional Centres sanctioned by the Govt, all 28 Regional Centres are functional. All efforts are being made to make the remainder Regional Centres functional at the earliest possible.
- ECHS Polyclinics are designed to provide 'Out Patient Care' which includes consultation, essential investigation and provision of medicines. Specialized consultations, investigations and 'In Patient Care' (Hospitalization) is provided through spare capacity available in Service hospitals and through civil hospitals empanelled with ECHS.
- Polyclinics are categorized as Type A to E, based on the number of Ex-servicemen residing in that area. They are:-
- Type A - Above 20,000
- Type B - Above 10,000
- Type C - Above 5,000
- Type D - Above 2,500
- Type E (Mobile) - Less than 2500 (Armed Forces Polyclinics or augmented Armed Forces Clinic will be provided)
- Expansion of ECHS network was approved by the Govt in Oct 2010 by sanctioning 182 additional polyclinics and 17 mobile clinics, making a total of 426 ECHS Polyclinics Out of 426 sanction polyclinics, 355 policlinics are operational as on 25 Jun 2013. The details are as under:-
- Eligibility For ECHS Membership. The Scheme caters for medical care to all ESM pensioners including those earning Disability and Family Pension and their dependents, which includes wife/husband, dependent legitimate children and wholly dependent parents. To be eligible for membership of ECHS, a person must meet the following twin conditions:-
- Should have ESM status.
- Should be drawing normal Service /Disability/ Family Pension.
- Contribution for ECHS Membership. All ESM pensioners are required to make a one time contribution based on their corresponding scale of Grade Pay at the time of retirement as per rates mentioned below :-
- Staff Authorised to Polyclinics. Contractual staff authorized to various types of ECHS Polyclinics is as under:-
- Plot Size and Plinth Area authorised to Polyclinics is as under :-
- Growth of ECHS Membership. Year wise enrolment of ECHS members and the corresponding increase in beneficiary base over the years is as under:-
- Enhancement in Remuneration of ECHS Contractual Employees.
- Grievance Redressal Mechanism. All grievances received from veterans are being replied to, including information sought under RTI. Grievances are being addressed through e-mail via internet and through website pgportal.gov.in of DoESW. In addition to the above, an Arbitration Committee has also been formed at Central Org ECHS to address concerns of empanelled hospitals. Grievances if any may be addressed to the undermentioned functionaries:-
- ECHS Website.
- Revised Eligibility Criteria.
Expansion of ECHS Network
|(b)||Non Military Stations||121||176||297|
Scales of Contribution and Staff
|Uncommutted Basic Pension + DP||Corresponding Scale of Grade Pay at the time of Retirement|
|Recruit to Havildar||Naib Subedar||Subedar to Major||Lt Col and above|
|Rs 15,000/-||Rs 27,000/-||Rs 39,000/-||Rs 60,000/-|
|S.No.||Trade||Type 'A'||Type 'B'||Type 'C'||Type 'D'||Type 'E'|
|(d)||OIC (Non Medical)||01||01||01||01||-|
|Plot Size||Plinth Area||Plot Size||Plinth Area|
|(a) Type A -1200 sq yds||5000 sq ft||6400 sq yds||29062.8 sq ft|
|(b) Type B -1200 sq yds||4000 sq ft||4800 sq yds||21528 sq ft|
|(c) Type C - 700 sq yds||2500 sq ft||3500 sq yds||16146 sq ft|
|(d) Type D - 700 sq yds||2000 sq ft||2800 sq yds||12916.8 sq ft|
|(a)||31 Mar 2005||78,999||3,63,261|
|(b)||31 Mar 2006||2,60,876||9,82,654||(+)6,19,393|
|(c)||31 Mar 2007||4,24,823||15,07,412||(+)5,24,758|
|(d)||31 Mar 2008||6,33,596||21,02,891||(+)5,95,479|
|(e)||31 Mar 2009||9,51,763||30,21,920||(+)9,19,029|
|(f)||31 Mar 2010||10,64,225||33,67,410||(+)3,45,490|
|(g)||31 Mar 2011||11,58,559||36,59,263||(+)2,91,853|
|(h)||31 Mar 2012||12,41,700||39,73,432||(+)3,14,169|
|(j)||31 Mar 2013||13,33,984||43,03,846||(+)3,30,414|
|(k)||31 Mar 2014||14,22,669||46,12,543||(+)3,08,697|
|(l)||31 Mar 2015||15,08,370||46,86,036||(+)73,493|
|(m)||30 Apr 2015||15,21,563||47,24,173||(+)38.137|
After consistent efforts, the case to bring remuneration of contractual staff in ECHS polyclinics at par with their counterparts in other organizations such as CGHS/ESIC has borne fruit. Govt has accorded sanction to revise remuneration of the contractual staff in ECHS polyclinics with effect from 01 Apr 2013. The existing and revised pay scales are as under:-
|S.No.||Category||Existing Remuneration||Revised Remuneration|
|(a)||Medical Officer||Rs. 46,000/-||Rs. 60,000/-|
|(b)||Specialist (Medical Specialist and Gynecologist)||Rs. 55,000/-||Rs. 70,000/ for 1st year Rs. 80,000/- for 2nd year. -|
|(c)||Dental Officer||Rs. 46,000/-||Rs. 60,000/-|
|(d)||Officer in Charge Polyclinics||Rs. 46,000/-||Rs. 60,000/-|
|(e)||Radiographer||Rs. 15,000/-||Rs. 22,500/-|
|(f)||Laboratory Technician||Rs. 15,000/-||Rs. 22,500/-|
|(g)||Laboratory Assistant||Rs. 15,000/-||Rs. 22,500-|
|(h)||Physiotherapist||Rs. 15,000/-||Rs. 22,500-|
|(j)||Pharmacist||Rs. 15,000/-||Rs. 22,500-|
|(k)||Nursing Assistant||Rs. 15,000/-||Rs. 22,500/-|
|(l)||Dental Hygienist Dental Assistant Dental Technician||Rs. 15,000/-||Rs. 22,500/-|
|(m)||Driver||Rs. 10,500/-||Rs. 15,750/-|
|(n)||Chowkidar||Rs. 8,970/-||Rs. 13,455|
|(o)||Female Attendant||Rs. 8,970/-||Rs. 13,455/-|
|(p)||Peon||Rs. 8,970/-||Rs. 13,455/-|
|(q)||Safaiwala||Rs. 8,970/-||Rs. 13,455/-|
(a) Managing Director
Central Org, ECHS
PIN - 110010
Tele-011-25684846 & Mob-8527794678
(b) Director (Complaints & Legal)
Central Org, ECHS
PIN - 110010
Tele-011-25684946 & Mob-8130382888
All information regarding ECHS, including list of empanelled facilities, forms for membership and latest policies are available at www.echs.gov.in.
Govt sanction has been accorded for bringing ECHS beneficiaries at par with that of CGHS. Details are as under:-
|(a)||Son||Till he starts earning or attains the age of 25 years, whichever is earlier.|
|(b)||Daughter||Till she starts earning or gets married, irrespective of the age limit, whichever is earlier.|
|(c)||Son or daughter suffering from any permanent disability of any kind (physical or mental)||Irrespective of age limit.|
|(d)||Dependent divorced/abandoned or separated from their husband/ widowed daughters and dependents unmarried/divorced/abandoned or separated from their husband/ widowed sisters||Irrespective of age limit.|
|(e)||Minor brothers(s) who are dependent on the veteran||Upto the age of becoming a major|